Since the breakup of nina Dobrev & Ian Somerhalder a couple years ago the Internet has been full of “he’s leaving because it’s awkward”, “she’s leaving because he rubs his girlfriend in her face” fake articles. So when my mother in law messaged me a couple weeks ago & said she saw somewhere nina was leaving the show I figured it was the same thing…then I saw her instagram.
Dearest TVD Family, I've just spent the most beautiful weekend on Lake Lanier in Georgia with my own TVD Family, the cast and crew of The Vampire Diaries. I want to be the first to tell you that it wasn't just a holiday celebration, it was a goodbye party. I always knew I wanted Elena's story to be a six season adventure, and within those six years I got the journey of a lifetime. I was a human, a vampire, a doppelganger, a crazy immortal, a doppelganger pretending to be human, a human pretending to be a doppelganger. I got kidnapped, killed, resurrected, tortured, cursed, body-snatched, was dead and undead, and there's still so much more to come before the season finale in May. Elena fell in love not once, but twice, with two epic soulmates, and I myself made some of the best friends I'll ever know and built an extended family I will love forever. There's more to come before we wrap this up, and I promise you'll get to hear all about my experiences over the next month as we approach the season finale (I have given an exclusive interview for the June issue of SELF Magazine that I am excited for you to see!), but until then I invite you to hop on the roller coaster ride that is Elena Gilbert's life and join me as I celebrate her and prepare to say goodbye to her — and to my work family — as I move on to the next chapter of my life. I want to share this goodbye with all of you (this weekend's pictures were just the beginning). You, the wonderful fandom who gave more love, support and passion than anyone could have ever imagined seven years ago, when a young Degrassi girl from Canada showed up in LA to audition for 'that Twilight TV show.' 😉 I love you all. Fasten your seatbelts. If you think you know what's coming, you don't. Love, Nina
Following her instagram I saw the Internet hate and if you have read my last top 10 Tuesday you know my reaction.
Basically I hate when people jump to conclusions about celebrities without looking into it further so here is what I have gathered after following not only the show but the cast as well over the last 6 years
1. Nina and ian dated, he was ready to move foward with his life (get married, have a family, etc.) She wasn’t therefore they broke up being in two different places in their lives.
2. They continued to do the show together, closely.
3. They remained friends.
4. Nina dated, Ian dated.
5. Ian got engaged to Nikki reed (twilight )
6. Nina announced she was leaving.
Now to the casual observer of celebrity news and gossip this would make it appear as though nina was leaving due to Ian’s engagement. HOWEVER, that is not the case. Nina signed a 6 year deal to play Elena, she only intended for it to last the 6 years. That’s it that’s all no more to it. She is an actress who would like to explore other opportunities, there is nothing wrong with that.
The big question now is what is going to happen to the show. Well it can go in 2 directions.
1. This one I like the refer to as the OC effect. Season 1&2 of the OC har four main cast members Ben Mckenzie (ryan), Adam Brody (seth), Rachel Bilson (summer) & Micha Barton (marissa). Marissa was the one who was always causing drama, always needed rescuing etc. At the end of season 2 they killed her off. It was sad but not a viewers were sad to see her leave (I was but I know a lot who weren’t ) the next season began without her…& it sucked. ..and only lasted half a season.
2. I call this one the OTH effect. On one tree hill there were 5 main cast members: Sophia bush (brooke), James Lafferty (Nathan), Bethany joy Lenz (haley), Chad Michael Murray (lucas) & Hilary Burton (peyton). At the end of season 6 Murray and Burton both left (making it seem like their characters moved away) & we’re replaced with new characters and still went strong for another 3 season.
So what do you think is going to happen to tvd, will it make it with Nina Dobrev? Are you sad to see her leave? Let me know in the comments.